We all feel physical pain at some point in our lives; the expression and experience of pain is different for all of us. Two people with the exact health condition will feel and express their pain in different ways depending on several other factors associated with the discomfort. However, with either acute or chronic conditions, pain management is both crucial and critical. The prescription from the doctor is likely to include painkillers that will help mitigate the severity and help you with pain management.
What are Pain Killers?
As the name suggests, they could be prescription, over the counter or available at an online medical store and areused specifically to treat pain. There are several types of pain killers and are available under several brand names. Usually they are taken by mouth as capsules or tablets and sometimes as liquids, injections, ointments or creams.
Types of Pain Killers
There are three main types of pain killers commonly available in the market or online pharmacy India and each of them works in a different way with varying effects on the body. They are:
- Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs (NSAID): They are known to treat fevers and reduce inflammation and are great for treating inflammation related conditions in the body.
- Paracetamol:These types of painkillers help in lowering high temperatures in a fever and reducing pain but do not mitigate inflammation.
- Opioids:They work by binding onto receptors in the central nervous system, the gut and other parts of the body. This lowers both your sensation of pain and your reaction to it and hence not only decreases the pain but also improves your tolerance to it.
5 things you must know when you take pain killers
- Type &Severity of Pain: Depending on the severity of the pain and its impact on your lifestyle, an appropriate painkiller needs to be taken. If it’s not a serious issue, a paracetamol may be enough to tackle pain but in more painful conditions like back pain or arthritis, cancer related pain or post-surgery recovery then NSAID or opioids are prescribed.(Must not be taken without a prescription from a certified doctor)
- Nature of other ailments in the body: The type of painkillers is prescribed based on the nature of the ailment. For example, an arthritic condition needs an NSAID for pain management; however, it is not suitable for people with stomach ulcers. Your doctor needs to be aware of your other conditions before he writes a suitable painkiller for you.
- Duration for which you need to take the Painkillers: They should be taken for the shortest duration of time as possible and perhaps in the lowest dosage that would help control your pain. This way, you avoid the side effects of the drugs and also ensure that you do not become tolerant. In chronic cases, which require long-term usage to minimize painful conditions, taking them becomes inevitable.
- Right way of Taking the Painkillers: When in pain it is recommended that you take them regularly depending on the type of drug prescribed. A paracetamol can be taken up to 4 times a day till your better but with an NSAID you need to take this after or before your food to protect your stomach lining.
- Possible Side-effects of the medicines: Painkillers list most of the side-effects in the accompanying leaflet, however it is not possible to list all of them. Only on rare occasions or long-term continuous usage will produce side effects in the body.
For effective pain management, painkillers are a good option. However, caution needs to be exercised before you take them by addressing all the issuescomprehensively. Zigy is a fast growing online health store, stocking some of the best formulations that would boost your health and keep your pain at bay.