CAT Eligibility Criteria lists requisite criteria about candidates’ domicile, age and other necessary requirements such as academic history and education qualifications, marks obtained in qualifying exams etc. for CAT. Candidate appearing for CAT must have a minimum aggregate of 50% marks in their graduation with the institute being recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE or UGC.
CAT is conducted for admission to postgraduate management programmes offered by number of leading Indian Institutes of Management participating under CAT exam. The exam is expected to be scheduled in November-December. Notification for the exam along with invitation of CAT Application Form will be published at the official website (iimcat.ac.in) starting from last week of July. The conducting body invites applications from graduated candidates with equivalent qualification for the exam.
CAT Eligibility Criteria – Age Criteria
The board has set age limit permissible for numerous courses offered by the participating institutes. The age criteria vary with each offered course. Age Limit for courses offered under CAT is listed below.
CAT Eligibility for Graduation Equivalent Degrees
CAT acknowledges certain degrees considered equivalent to a bachelor. Students who have completed or are pursuing any of the following degrees are eligible to appear for CAT. The equivalent qualifications valid for appearing in CAT 2017 are listed below:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Technology of 4-years duration completed after 10+2 or Post B.Sc. or Post Diploma.
- A degree equivalent to bachelor degree in Engineering and Technology of Professional Societies recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE such as AMIE by Institution of Engineers, India or AMICE by Institute of Civil Engineers of India.
- Qualification equivalent to bachelor’s degree recognized by Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi.
- A Candidate with any other qualification not listed here can also apply but they will have to produce an equivalency certificate issued by Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi.
CAT Eligibility for Final Year Students
As mentioned earlier, eligibility criterion for CAT is graduation. However, final year students of various bachelor’s degree courses can also take the test provided they clear graduation with at least 50% marks till the time of admission. IIMs and other management institutes verify CAT eligibility at various stages of the selection process. For the PGP in IIMs, students, if selected, will be allowed to join the program provisionally only if they submit a certificate, stating-
- They have completed all the requirements (the results may, however, be awaited) for obtaining the bachelor’s degree/ equivalent qualification on the date of issue of the certificate.
Their admission will be confirmed only when they submit original mark sheet and degree certificate of having passed the bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification referred to in the certificate issued by Principal/Registrar of their college/institute.
- They must obtain at least 50% marks or equivalent. They must submit a photocopy of the mark sheets and degree certificate.
- Non-fulfillment of this condition will automatically result in the cancellation of the provisional admission.
- IIMs would not allow any candidate to join their program in case the candidate is unable to complete all the requirements for a bachelor degree.
CAT Eligibility Criteria – Reservation Offered
IIMs follow the reservation guideline of GOI for admission to their MBA programs. There are two types of reservations of seats at IIMs – Caste based reservation and Reservation for Differently abled individuals with seats being reserved in the following manner.
|Category||Percent of seats reserved|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|Other Backwards Classes – Non-Creamy Layer (NC-OBC)||27%|
Reservation Policy for Differently Abled Candidates
There is a separate reservation policy for candidates who are differently abled. The criteria for Differently Abled candidates is defined as below:
- Hearing impairment
- Low Vision blindness
- Locomotor Disability/Cerebral Palsy
This reservation is, however, applicable only for those candidates who suffer from the said disabilities at least to the extent of 40% or more. The candidates must possess a medical certificate stating the same, issued by an authorized medical authority.
Reservation Norms for Differently Abled candidates for CAT 2017
- There is a reservation of 3% seats for differently abled candidates in IIMs.
- Differently abled candidates need to have 45% marks in their graduate degree.
- Differently abled candidates will be provided with a wheel chair (blind candidates or those affected with locomotor disability) at the exam center, if selected during CAT Registration.
- Differently abled candidates in the low vision category can bring a scribe with them. There is no eligibility criteria set for scribes.